At the Township of Uxbridge, we are committed to providing a safe environment for all residents and their pets. We are responsible for licensing dogs, responding to stray animal calls, caring for animals at the animal shelter and placing animals up for adoption.

How You Can Support Animal Care and Welfare

When pets go missing, the Uxbridge-Scugog Animal Shelter is here to help. Our shelter cares for stray animals until they can be reunited with their owners.  Our pet adoption services enable dozens of animals to move into loving homes each year. Your donations help feed and house animals in need and help pay for veterinary services like spay/neuter and medical care.  Financial support to assist with these costs is always welcomed and greatly appreciated.  Thank-you for your support.

Donate now

Lost and found pets

Call us at 905-985-9547 if you lose or find a pet in the Township of Uxbridge. You can also drop the animal off at the Uxbridge-Scugog Animal Shelter, located at:

1360 Reach St.
Port Perry, ON

We will care for stray pets until they are reunited with their owners or placed for adoption. Make sure to get a pet licence for your animal. This will help us reunite you with your pet if they are lost.

Impounding fees

If your dog or cat goes missing and is brought into the animal shelter, reclaiming fees are necessary to assist in the offset of the cost for care during their stay. Contact us for a full list of impounding fees.

Pet licensing

A pet licence helps us return your dog or cat to you quickly in case it gets lost or goes missing. Purchase and renew your dog or cat licence using DocuPet. This platform will help you register your dog or cat with the Township of Uxbridge. Follow the online, phone, or mail-in instructions to obtain a licence.

New Animal Shelter Project

Read the current update on the New Animal Shelter for Uxbridge-Scugog.

Report Animal Bites

If you are bitten by an animal, seek medical attention immediately. All animal bites should be reported to the Region of Durham Health Department.

You can report a dog bite to Animal Control. We will conduct an investigation into the dog bite.

File an Animal Control complaint

The Animal Control Department will investigate concerns related to violations of the Animal Control By-law, Kennel By-law and Prohibited Animals By-law when a formal complaint has been received.

Complaints are assigned to an Animal Control Officer who will determine whether or not the complaint is valid.  The appropriate actions necessary to achieve compliance will be taken to address all valid complaints received.

Please contact us by email if you would like an update on the status of your complaint.


We will not release complainant information.

How do I report cruelty to animals?

Cruelty to any animal is not tolerated in Ontario. If you think an animal is in distress or is being abused, please call 1-833-9-ANIMAL (264625). If you sense an animal is in immediate danger or you suspect illegal activity involving animals, please contact Durham Regional Police.

Report a dead animal

If you see a dead domestic animal that requires removal, please call us 905-985-9547.

If you see a dead wild animal that requires removal, please call 905-852-9181.

Contact Us