The Commissioner of Oaths can administer oaths and witness signatures for certain affidavits, documents and declarations - see list below of items that are accepted for commissioning. 

Please note that we are unable to sign documents that require a Notary Public. Please check the requirements of your document before you come in. Call the Clerks Department at 905-852-9181 for more information.

Hours of operation

This service is available Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Township Office located at 51 Toronto St. S. Appointments are not necessary.


There is a $25 fee for commissioning services of up to 5 documents, with a $5 charge per document beyond that. Debit or cash payments are accepted.


Please ensure your document is completed accurately and to the best of your ability, but do not sign!  As part of the Commissioning service, we must witness your signature.

You will need to provide a valid piece of photo identification in order to have a signature witnessed by a Commissioner of Oaths.

Our Services

The Township of Uxbridge Commissioner of Oaths can sign documents including, but not limited to:

  • Township of Uxbridge generated documents
  • Domestic and Foreign Pension document (also known as Proof of Life)
  • Canadian Citizenship forms
  • Delayed Statement of Live Birth
  • Adult Name Change
  • Vehicle transfer of ownership to a family member
  • Child Travel Consent
  • Invitation letters for a visitor's VISA
  • Immunization exemption document
  • Statutory Declaration of Lost Identification
  • Statutory Declaration for OSAP - Statement of Common Law Status/Supporting Children
  • Amendment to Birth / Death / Marriage Certificate forms
  • Affidavit of Proof of Loss of Motor Vehicle / Boat (from an insurance company)
  • Affidavit of Proof of Residency
  • Travel Industry Council of Ontario - Affidavit of Customer Claimant

The Commissioner of Oaths cannot sign documents related to the following:

  • Wills, Living Wills, Codicils to Wills or Estate Settlement documents
  • Power of Attorney documents
  • Divorce, separation, marriage or cohabitation documents
  • Documents related to debt
  • Custody documents
  • Real estate documents, including transfer of land
  • Court, Legal or Civil issue related documents
  • Declaration or Claimant and Indemnity
  • Statutory Declaration of Progress Payment Distribution - Holdback Security Deposits
  • Statement of Arrears
  • Certified True Copies
  • Declaration of a Translator
  • Age of Majority or BYID Card Application
  • Documents requiring the signature of a Notary Public, Canadian and Foreign

We reserve the right to refuse commissioning services of any document.

Certified True Copies

If you require certified true copies of a document, you will need to contact a private lawyer or a Notary Public, as the Municipality does not provide these services.

Contact Us