The Town of Uxbridge is situated in a beautiful valley on the northern slope of the Oak Ridges Moraine, about 64 km northeast of Toronto, Ontario. To learn more about the history of the Township of Uxbridge, visit the Uxbridge Historical Centre.

Early settlement and development

Uxbridge is located on the ancestral home of the Anishaanabe Nations (Ojibway, Cree, Huron, Wendat, Algonquin, Chippewa, Mississaugas).

The first settlers in the area were Quakers who started arriving in 1806 along with other British Loyalists following the American revolutionary wars. Most settlers to the Township of Uxbridge came from the Catawissa area of Pennsylvania.

The Uxbridge Friends Meeting House which overlooks the town from Quaker Hill was built in 1820, and is the community's oldest building. The Toronto and Nipissing Railroad arrived in Uxbridge in 1871, and for over a decade Uxbridge was the headquarters of the railway. Shortly after the arrival of the railway, Uxbridge became a village in 1872, and reached town status in 1885.

In 1923 the Federal Government appointed a three man commission, chaired by Toronto lawyer A.S. Williams, to investigate Indigenous historic claims to large tracts of land in central and southern Ontario, which includes Uxbridge. Two new treaties, known as the Williams Treaties, resulted. These agreements transferred ownership of the ancient hunting grounds of the Mississaugas of Alderville First Nation, Curve Lake First Nation, Hiawatha First Nation, Scugog Island First Nation and the Chippewas of Beausoleil First Nation, Georgina Island First Nation and the Rama First Nation to the Crown.

Timeline of important events

Sir John A. MacDonald held the first of his huge picnics when seeking re-election at the Uxbridge Fall Fair grounds in Elgin Park.

Uxbridge Public Library was erected in 1887 from funds provided by entrepreneur, politician, and businessman, Joseph Gould. The centennial in 1987 was celebrated with the opening of a large addition.

L.M. Montgomery, the author of Anne of Green Gables lived in Leaskdale, within the Township of Uxbridge from 1911 to 1926, and wrote 11 of her 22 books here. More details on her life can be found at the LMMSO website.

The Thomas Foster Memorial, erected in 1935-36 by the former mayor of Toronto, is situated a short distance north of town.

In 1954, Uxbridge became the second town in Canada to receive an official coat-of-arms which is displayed on the front of the Music Hall. The latter building has been restored, and is a centre for drama and musical performances.

In 1973, Uxbridge Town became a part of Uxbridge Township, along with Scott Township, in the new Region of Durham.

The Uxbridge Arena and Community Centre, was built in 1978, with a second ice pad added in 1997.

Business history

Some early businesses in the Township of Uxbridge include:

  • The Uxbridge Piano and Organ Company
  • Gold Media Radio and Phonograph Company
  • Glitsch Canada

Contact Us